Monday 6 January 2014

My review of Champion

Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lu
Release Date:
November 5, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Champion (Legend, #3)June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. 


But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything. 

Champion is a fanatical roller coaster of emotions that I enjoyed immensely, leaving me lightheaded and beyond satisfied. 

With some of the major flops we've had in terms of conclusions I didn't send my expectations too high when I started reading this. However, a few chapters in and I was convinced Lu wouldn't leave us in any horse crap at the end. The installment has an incredibly strong plot with so many roads it could go down and I just KNEWWWW it wouldn't go down the dodgy road.
image
Champion is set eight months after the heartbreaking cliffhanger at the end of Prodigy. June and Day are reunited, but it's not under the most romantic and perfect circumstances that we have been waiting for. Nope. There has been a plague outbreak in the Colonies, and they are blaming the Republic and threatening to go to war if a cure is not found. And SOOON!
June and Day... I can't even explain how my emotions ranged throughout the novel. There were extreme highs, and extreme lows. June has come so far. From the young, naive and inexperienced to a strong, confident and even deadly young woman! And when she's with Day... Asdfghjkl FEEELS. They are a truly beautiful couple and their relationship couldn't have ended on any other note after the incredible journey that they have both had to endure. Let's just say, the last chapter will save your soul from an eternity of wondering and heartbreak.

I enjoyed the scenes with Day and his brother Eden. Their bond as brothers are extremely strong and I loved everything that passed between them; especially the humor.

We even get to go outside of the Republic. YESSS! I know. Pretty amazing stuff. We get to visit Ross City in Antarctica. And can I just say that they have the coolest system of ranking people. It's like a video game where you can earn points and improve your rank... IT'S SOOO COOOOL. But yes, I appreciated the change in setting as I got to know the world of Legend a bit better.

Thank you, Marie Lu, for an incredible and action-packed journey with so many twists and heart-breaking moments that I almost felt like I would drop dead. This trilogy is one of the best examples of how good dystopian stories can get. Champion is a soul-achingly beautiful conclusion and I cannot, CANNOT wait for whatever next Lu decides to write about. 
Rating

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy it's a happy ending for the couple!! I've heard that it's iffy, but I'm glad you enjoyed it so much in terms of the plot and characters and romance:)

    Lovely lovely review:) Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways, Champion would have left a much bigger impact on me if the epilogue hadn't happened ... xD I can't wait for the Young Elites!

    P.S. Have you seen the FB game for Legend? The gameplay itself is typical fb style but I liked the background art. Gives a good feel of the Republic City environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point! But it would have honestly left so many in agony. Ahhhh I know! Can't wait either.

      Haha, no I haven't! But I will do. Thank you for bringing my attention to it :D

      Delete
    2. Loved this book! Really endearing finale to a fantastic series :3

      Delete
    3. Whoops, *Republic. Got it mixed up with Legend of Korra's Republic City. :P

      Overall it would have satisfied me either way. The series has been excellent. Loved the slow build of relationships instead of the rush Iloveyous that's so common in YA these days.

      Delete
  3. I just finished Legend and slowly but surely working my way through the trilogy. I'm glad that it doesn't end terribly. Hopefully it'll help motivate me to read Prodigy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best series ever! Great review:)

    ReplyDelete