Monday 26 December 2011

My review of If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's my Prince?

26/12/11 - If I have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's my Prince? by Melissa Kantor - Released 1st September 2005

Humorous and touching. This book gives a realistic twist on the fairytale, Cinderella.


If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?Wicked stepmother? Check. Evil stepsisters? Check. Miserable life? Check.

Lucy Norton’s life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad’s always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She’s burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn’t she at least deserve to get the handsome prince?

Melissa Kantor’s enchanting novel proves that sometimes the happy ending isn’t quite the one you’d expect. Lucy’s about to discover the truth about finding her real Prince Charming… and finding herself.


A beautiful story packed full of sweet romance and laughable scenes. It's a really easy story to get into and you will love reading through the realistic problems that occur.

Our main character, Lucy, was a fun and lovely young girl. She made me laugh (a lot) and I had no problems relating to her actions and emotions. You will either hate or love Connor, Lucy's first boyfriend, because he can be a bit of a jerk at times but also very nice. Lucy's family, just like Cinderella! I was happy to see that was one of the features Kantor pulled out from the fairytale.

Sam? I loved him. Such a nice and interesting character to read about. He was a unique character and made a great twist to the story. I didn't expect his personality to change through out the book but, surprisingly, he did change, which just made me like him even more.

The plot was well thought out and it was hard to put the book down. It was easy to get into the writing style of Melissa Kantor because it was descriptive and funny. The ending was satisfying and just what I wanted! The book met my high expectations and shocked me in many ways. Melissa Kantor has done an amazing job picking out key points in the fairytale, Cinderella, and using them to make her story original.

I rate this book:

4 comments:

  1. I read this a few weeks ago and completely agree with you. Sam is so adorable and the author definitely pulled the right things from the original fairy tale but added a new twist on many things to make this book relevant to this time period. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Cinderella kind of story! Nice review :) The books sounds interesting and cute ^0^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know the book lives up to its great title!

    eai(at)stanfordalumni.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so cute! I love the cover. I love the premise. And your review makes me even more excited about it. I think I am going to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete