Saturday 31 December 2011

My review of Clockwork Angel

31/12/11 - Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - Released 31st August 2010

Clockwork Angel is a brilliant story of romance and power. An amazing prequel to The Mortal Instruments series.

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Beautifully written. Once again, Cassandra has done an amazing job. A very unexpected plot with mysterious characters.

Will, such a charming young man. We all know who he's related to? Jace, of course! (If you don't know who Jace is, then read The Mortal Instruments Series). They both share the same qualities: rude, arrogant, mood swings. You see where I'm going with this? Turns out, I had a re-read of City of Glass and found out Jace Wayland is actually Jace Herondale, which makes Will and Jace related some how.

Tessa, she was a beautiful character, with a lovely personality. She grew more and more as a person through out the book. Her courage and determination, led me to admire her. She also possessed some similar qualities to Clary from TMI.

The plot was interesting, there was a lot of action, that involved ruins, etc... Thinking about them makes me want to get a tatoo....

Cassandra's writing style is addictive! I do hope she writes another set of good books that have something to do with Shadowhunters. Since I've already read Clockwork Prince, I have to sit at my computer, scroll through a terribly long list of books, until Clockwork Princess comes out!

I rate this book:



17 comments:

  1. awesome...u made me even more excited to read this now :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love loved this book! I've been on the waiting list at my library to borrow Clockwork prince for so long now and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard amazing things about this series. I really want to read it!

    ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read The Mortal Instruments (or the first three, I guess it's not a trilogy after all?) and picked this and Clockwork Prince up at the library. I agree that Cassandra Clare's writing is addictive, I couldn't help but tear through the books. I already couldn't wait to read these next ones, but your review makes me want to skip all the books in line before them and start now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is better than Mortal Instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love the book! I haven't read the Mortal Instruments but many say that Infernal Devices is better than MI, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna read MI or not... :|

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book has been on my TBR forever but I have not gotten to it. Thanks for reminding me why it was there in the first place. I have to make time to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED this book! Can't wait to read A Clockwork Prince. Actually, I had started it (gotten through 2 chapters) and then accidentally left the book in a hotel room! I am sad! So I would get another copy of that one if I won the fling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really want to read this books, but the translators are very slow... (I live in the Netherlands).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I like how you see the book :) I am postponing reading the 2nd one till it's closer to the release date for the 3rd...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love Cassandra Clare's books! Especially this series! Can't wait to read Clockwork Princess...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the covers of this series, but some negative reviews make me wary of it. Even you admit the Clockwork Angel has similarities to The Mortal Instruments (which was the main criticism of the negative reviews). I haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books, I have to admit, but the last thing I want as a reader is to read a re-hashing of the same themes. Some people also say it's a bit flat for adult readers, so seeing as they have it in the local ibrary, I'll check it out for free first, very tempted as I am to buy all three purely because of the gorgeous covers :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to read this series! Great review btw :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not know why, but I just could not get into this book as much as everyone else. To me it was a 3 star. I just did not like the <3 triangle going on and there was no action. I felt like nothing happened throughout the whole book. It was just a no go for me. I felt I like TMI series much better. Thank you for sharing your review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love this series, one of favorites...and Will Herondale is just perfect,I love that bad boy attitude he shows but deep down he cares a lot and is willing to sacrifice himself for his friends...TOTALLY IN LOVEE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not read this series, but I've heard so many great things about it. I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks for the review!

    Best Wishes,
    Lindsey V.

    ReplyDelete