Saturday 19 January 2013

My review of The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) by Michelle Hodkin
Release Date:
October 23, 2012

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

The Evolution of Mara Dyer is the second breath-taking book in the Mara Dyer trilogy. In this installment, Mara has been sent to hospital under care due to the fact that everyone thinks she's crazy. She seen her ex-boyfriend Jude, who is meant to be dead, and no one believes her. The only person who will stand by her side and support her is her boyfriend Noah Shaw. But Mara knows that he's hiding something, and when the everyone thinks you're crazy, life isn't as simple as she wishes for it to be.

I was afraid that The Evolution of Mara Dyer would be disappointing like some of the other sequels released in 2012; Insurgent by Veronica Roth, for example. But it wasn't! Thank God! Michelle Hodkin writes brilliantly and I was completely and utterly absorbed from the first chapter. There was just as much romance, humor as there was in the first book, and even more action and mysteries! I could not put this book down at all, because I was desperate to find out how it ended.

Mara is a great protagonist who I really love to read about. She's caring and courageous when she's forced to be and I wouldn't mind knowing her in real life. At times, I felt extremely frustrated with her, the world, EVERYTHING! When Mara was trying to tell everyone that she wasn't crazy, no one believed her. I can understand how irritating and annoying that must be if I were in her shoes. I would have probably broken down crying with angry tears as well. Let's thank all things holy that Mara had and will - hopefully - always have the amazing Noah Shaw by her side. 

Yes, this is the Noah Shaw paragraph, where I simply gush and fan-girl over how much I adore him. Are you ready? Yes, I am too. Where should I start? Noah's great looks, his amazing sense of humor, his caring nature.... Well, Noah is an all round good guy, who tries hard to be there for the ones he care for. What gave Noah bonus points was that he was prepared to stick by Mara, no matter where she went or what she decided, he was always there and never doubted her. Not to mention his unique humor and charm! Sigh, he will make you fan-girls out there swoon a few times as well. He is irresistibly romantic in this book so get ready to choke on your heart every now and then.

I haven't said a lot about the plot because I think you should walk in clueless about what is to happen. The novel has a strong and gripping plot, no need to worry about that. Those who fell for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer will not be able to resist what this sequel has on offer.
Rating

9 comments:

  1. Love the review, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is on my TBR list and I have to say after reading this (and thank you for not giving too much away) I am going to bump that book up the list. Because I know I will want to read what the sequel will offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you loved it too! I loved it but I was such a wreck. Maybe that's why I loved it...because Michelle can wreck me with her words.
    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was left absolutely hanging by this book! Noah Shaw is just as precious as Mara Dyer is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa...5 stars for this book. Awesome!! Can't wait to read this book myself.

    Thanks for your review. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 stars? I have to read this one! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book (: I can't believe the ending *gasp* !!
    Noah definitely deserved his own paragraph - lots of swooning (:

    Definitely excited for the next book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed The Unbecoming. I loved the dark and creepy factors. I loved Mara and her brother and Jamie and Noah. I was worried that The Evolution wouldn't match it, but I think it surpassed it in some ways. The characterization was top notch. The plot was full of creep and fear and suspense and terror, and plain weirdness. Loved it. I was so very happy to see Jamie resurface! And there is nothing that I can say about Noah. Not a thing that everyone else doesn't already know. This quote from the book sums it up well:

    "Sharing a bed with her is its own exquisite torture. I twine around her like moss on a limb; our heartbeats synchronize and we become one twisted, codependent thing. She brings me to heel with one look and I hear an aching violin, a cello's low swell. It hums beneath my skin; I want nothing more than to devour her, yet I do nothing but clench my jaw, press my lips to her neck, and savour the tremor in her chord. After a while, it softens at the edges as she slips into sleep. Her sound is a siren's song, calling me to the rocks"

    Noah Shaw page 327

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like ur review....i read the 1st book of mara dyer...i'm looking forward to read this one..thx u :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this book! so creepy and so enthralling! lovely beginning to a series that im sure will flourish :)

    ReplyDelete