Monday 14 January 2013

My review of Deadly Hemlock

Deadly Hemlock (Hemlock #1) by Kathleen Peacock
Release Date:
July 5, 2012

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Deadly HemlockMackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf. 

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control. 

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk. 


Deadly Hemlock is one of the best wolf reads out there and, after reading it, I understand why many have loved it so much. Be prepared to face the ultimate mystery, to face the terrifying truth and a wonderful romance in Peacock's debut novel.

Deadly Hemlock is set in a world where werewolves do exist; the condition is called "Lupine Syndrome" and those infected are kept at arms length and shipped off to a camp designed to 'help' them. Everything is running fairly smoothly until the Government's fearless army of werewolf hunters, the Trackers, arrive in the small town of Hemlock. And it's their intrusion that finally calls for a change. Mackenzie has not stopped thinking of her best friend who had been brutally murdered by a white werewolf not too long ago. The arrival of the Trackers snaps Mac to her senses and she decides to investigate Amy's death with the help from her two remaining friends, Jason and Kyle. What she doesn't know is that she may be putting herself in more danger than she could ever imagine.

When I picked up Deadly Hemlock, I realised that I hadn't read a YA novel about werewolves for a long while, and this book has reminded me of why I adore them so much. This book contains all the major points to make me happy: a mysterious plot, a set of varied and unique characters, and a complicated romance. Yeah, I'm a fan of love-triangles... judge me. Though, having said that, I am only a fan of well-written love triangles, and Peacock has definitely got that in the bag! I extremely enjoyed getting to know Jason and Kyle, who had contrasting personalities that really intrigued me. They each have their own role in Mac's life and both hiding secrets of their own from her. Mac is a really lovely character, and it's difficult not to ignore her charm and her considerate nature.

Deadly Hemlock is that start of an epic werewolf trilogy that YA paranormal lovers must pick up as soon as possible. Kathleen Peacock has written an addictive and beautiful novel that will simply leave you desperately pining for the sequel.
Rating

2 comments:

  1. I'm not such a fan of love-triangles, but I can accept them if they are well-written: I'm happy to hear that it's the case here :) Mac sounds like a good character and I love the concept of this book. I have this book waiting for me (with the other title: Hemlock) and I can't wait :D Great review.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just added this one to my tbr list. I can't wait to read it! It sounds frackin' go ood!! Thank you for the review =D

    ReplyDelete