Tuesday 8 January 2013

My review of The Day I Met Suzie

The Day I Met Suzie by Chris Higgins
Release Date:
March 7, 2013

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


The Day I Met Suzie
'My boyfriend could get into trouble if he gets caught. He could go to jail.' I moan softly. 'So could I.' 'Anything you tell me is completely confidential.' I sigh deeply. What have I got to lose? 'I wouldn't know where to begin.' 'At the beginning?' she says. 'In your own words.' So that's what I do. I start at the beginning like she says. The day I met Suzie. 

Indigo (Indie) rings the Samaritans. She is frightened and desperate with no one to turn to. Over the course of one long night, Indie tells her story to the person on the end of the phone. She realises that her friend Suzie has taken over her home, her friends, her work, her boyfriend - and her life. After every few chapters we are brought back to the present moment, and see how piecing the story together helps Indie progress towards resolution.

Chris Higgins delivers a mysterious and interesting novel of a girl who is taken advantage of because of her caring nature. Surprises are planted around every corner and a big plot, which evolves around love, betrayal and trust, will hook you in.

The Day I Met Suzie is about a girl named Indie, who can't help but care and offer help to those around her. The book starts with her calling the Samaritans. She is frightened and worried with no one she can talk to. Her life is in wrecks because of she wanted to help someone, and the Samaritan on the phone offers to listen to her story. From that point, Indie explains how she first saw Suzie, a sad and dull looking girl, who couldn't find her way around school. Indie feels sorry for her. Overtime, they grow close, but this is because Indie is helping her; giving her food, a place to stay, etc. And then Suzie is taking over her job, her home, her friends, even her boyfriend. But when she tries to do something, she realises that she is in way over her head and is simply digging a deeper whole. Can the woman on the phone help her? Or make things worse?

When I first read the blurb of this book I was really intrigued about the idea of a desperate girl talking to someone about her problems down the phone. The blurb makes the book sound a bit creepy. A girl taking over another girl's life? That is very... strange. As for the characters, I didn't feel like I could connect with out main character Indie. She was a little too keen to help others and throughout the book I wanted to hit her over the head and shout at her to get her life back on track. But, she didn't. She seemed to dig herself into an even bigger hole by trying to help out her boyfriend with a big money problem!

The author kept me guessing until the end! She ties the story up nicely and delivers a satisfying ending that will make you wonder what is next for the characters. The book also gives a valuable message to us all: Don't trust people you don't know. Actually, we should all be aware of that. "No talking to strangers" is just as important!

The Day I Met Suzie is a YA contemporary that is different from others. It's dark, it's realistic and the plot is like none other. Fans of Chris Higgins' previous books will eat this one up.
Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment