Monday 9 July 2012

My review of Wake

Wake (Watersong #1) by Amanda Hocking
Release Date: August 7, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Wake (Watersong, #1)Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.


Wake is the first novel in the upcoming Watersong series. Full of mysteries and cute romance, Amanda Hocking will captivate fans with this new and exciting world.

Gemma is a swimmer. She loves to swim, especially at night at the far end of the beach. When three beautiful girls start appearing around town, Gemma doesn't feel safe. Most people think the girls are just ordinary tourists hanging around the beach for the summer, but they've got a secret. One that will change Gemma's life forever.

I enjoyed Gemma's character and personality, she was fun and unpredictable. Her sister, Harper, however, wasn't the most easiest of characters to get along with. Harper is fiercely protective with no sense of adventure of whatsoever. There were a few moments in the books when I felt like Harper could have just dived into the deep end, I wanted her to dive in the deep end. But, she didn't. Typical, boring Harper.

The romance wasn't bad, it was cute, nothing too heavy. I liked the relationship between Gemma and the-boy-next-door, Alex. Alex is a complete nerd but looks gorgeous and owns an amazing body. He blushes and he has a slight cowlick, but, damn it, who cares? It made him more realistic, a more believable character, not like some other YA guys who are flawless.

Putting aside Alex and Gemma, and moving on to Gemma's older sister, Harper, and Daniel, a guy who lives on a boat near where Gemma and Harper's dad works. To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed reading more about their relationship than Gemma and Alex's. Daniel made me laugh so much! The flirting was adorable! But knowing Harper she would never go for a guy who hasn't got his life sorted out and lives on a boat. Seriously, this girl needs to live her life, open her eyes....and go out with Daniel. I think you guys will love the way Daniel and Harper met. ;)

If you have not read any of Amanda Hocking's books then I urge you to check the out as soon as possible. 

Overall, Wake is an exciting, tense and gripping read. I would recommend this book to any Amanda Hocking fan or anyone who loves a spooky paranormal read. I can't wait to read Lullaby because the ending of Wake has left me of what's to come . I'm expecting a lot more from Lullaby including some more romance and action.

Rating
- A big massive thank you to St. Martin's Griffin for sending me a review copy!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Amanda Hocking's Trylle trilogy. I just found out about this book's existence a few days ago but this is the fist time I read the description and/or a review. And your review was enough to convince me that I'll like it. It sounds just as interesting as the Trylle trilogy books and I know I love them... Thank you for the honest review and for bringing the book to my attention. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this one looks interesting. I haven't read books from this author, but I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Amanda's books but it's clear I'm going to have to. I do have the Trylle trilogy in my TBR pile so must get started on them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very much interested in reading this. :) I am very curious as to how and why Gemma's life was changed by those other girls. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Wake by Amanda Hocking but I want to read that and love book cover, it's beautiful^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had really rough relationships with mermaid/siren novels. I have tried very hard to enjoy them, but something just never sits well with me. I still try though, and I tried with Wake. I wish that I had enjoyed it like you did. It just fell a little flat with me. I feel awful for it, too. I am trying again right now, with Of Poseidon by Anna Banks. Maybe that one will be a winner. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete