Friday 4 May 2012

My review of The Selection

The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass
Release Date: June 7, 2012 (UK), April 24, 2012 (US)
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

The Selection (The Selection, #1)Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.


The Selection is a book with a plot that I really, really enjoyed. I don't think I've read anything like it! It's unique and wow, just look at that cover! I loved everything about the book: the characters, the emotion, the writing, have I said that I just love the cover?

America Singer, a seventeen-year-old, has been chosen for The Selection, a show where 35 girls compete to win Prince Maxon's heart. America is taken away from her tough life and pushed in to a life of luxury. But she's leaving something behind, her first love, Aspen. Can America ever bring herself to love Maxon? Or will the rebels attack before she ever gets to know him?

I can understand why some people might not like this book, there's the typical mean girl and love triangle. The dresses and the balls. The make-up and the fights. But, the book is very, very addictive! Once you start reading about America's world you just can't stop because her life is so exciting.

What I loved about the book was the fact that I could relate to the main character. Ever been bossed around by your mother? Expected to do the best because your the first child? A father who knows you better than anyone? Well, that's America Singer for you! The book, I felt, had plenty of emotional scenes. Yes, I did cry a few times. When America had to break up with her first love, Aspen, I thought my heart would crack! 

One think that I hated about the book was the ending. It was a CLIFFHANGER. I hate them so much. I think you guys should read this book closer to the release date of the sequel because the ending to this book will make you want MORE!

Overall, The Selection is a really fun and intense book that I would recommend to everyone who loves a girly dystopian novel. I can't wait to read the sequel! 
Rating
- Thank you HarperCollins UK for sending me a review Ecopy

25 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of reading this right now. I agree with you - it's really addictive! Sometimes it seems a little too similar to the Hunger Games, minus the violence, but I still like it. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this awesome review! I'm glad to hear you liked it! I really want to read it myself, I'm such a sucker for dystopians and I haven't read anything amazing in a while. :)

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read this book! It sounds really good. Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the premise of this, and how it's a lighter dystopian. I like the sound of the character, and it's interesting to see how the caste system affects her love life.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is awesome! I read it right after it came out! The only thing I didn't like is the love triangle thing in the book. I loved Aspen since the beginning, then came Maxon, and I fell in love with him, too xDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. One this is absolutely jumping to the top of my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca Hipworth9 May 2012 at 17:20

    I agree the cover is beautiful. :)
    Dystopia is my favourite genre so I'm definitely checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this book yet but I'm really looking forward to. I think the plot is really interesting and I love the cover!
    -Riz B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious about this book. The cover is gorgeous and the blurb sounds decent but I read so many people refuse to read it because of the author attitude...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally someone else who loved it :) I'm a little sad that the TV pilot didn't get picked up, but maybe it's for the best.
    and Team Maxon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!! Haven't read it yet but its on my tbr list....really love the genre!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the awesome review. I wasn't sure about this one...didn't know if it was my cup of tea. I love the cover though....I think I will give it a shot, because I have heard really good things about it and I have been surprised before by books I thought I would not like. Example the Pretty Little Liars series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been really interested in this book for quite a long time but never able to take it from the bookstore and buy it because i can't stand cliffhanger endings. Better wait until the full series are out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I received an email informing me that I won a copy of this book. Can't wait for it to arrive! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am dying to read this book! I can't wait to get my hand on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited to read this book . Thank you so much for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book. I was surprised that not a lot of people liked this one. I could have stayed in their world all day long and I was so sad when the book ended. I'm really looking forward to the sequel. It seems like it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks interesting. I hope I'll have time to read this book anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a short review,but enough to make me wanting this;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate cliffhangers. They drive me nuts. And I hate that so many people have issues with this book. I honestly was nervous going into it because of all of the negativity. I am so glad that I took a chance, because I loved every minute of it. I loved America and Maxon and America's little sister. I loved the girls in the competition. I loved America's daddy. I loved all of it, and I cannot wait for The Elite. I so hope she chooses Maxon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am not a fan of america...but i do love prince maxon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Review! I have been unsure if I wanted to read this or not until now but I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't read this book yet but soon, I want to read selection, from your review, this book sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey,
    I just finished the selection and your review has made me even more anxious and excited to get my hands on Elite. Great Review, I am Team Maxon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. aaahh i want this book so much. ive heard a lot of good reviews about it and the premise sounds really interesting. also, the book covers for this series are just gorgeous!:')

    ReplyDelete