Sunday 8 April 2012

My review of The Summer My Life Began

The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland 
Release Date: May 10th, 2012
Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


This isn't just an ordinary summer....


The Summer My Life Began
Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. 


And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time.


The Summer My Life Began is an interesting book about family and friends. It shows you how life can change within a few weeks, how you life can be turned upside down because of one secret and how opportunities can pop up in the most surprising of places! 


Elizabeth Margeret is the daughter of a wealthy family. What is expected of her? She must become a lawyer, she much marry someone rich, she must not disappoint her parents. Hiding her passion to cook, Em does what is expected of her. Until a postcard comes from her aunt Matilda arrives in the post inviting Em to stay with her. Em can't ignore the yearning to go, get away from her family and join her aunt. But one thing leads to another; secrets are dug up and her family's past is revealed....


I really enjoyed this book and found the plot interesting and exciting. The characters intrigued me with their unique and loving personalities. On the surface, The Summer My Life Began might seem like the typical 'girl goes on holiday, meets guy, parties every night', but it's not like that. The story line is much deeper and much more exciting. 

Overall, The Summer My Life Began is a nice, quick read that younger teens will love!

Rating:
- A special thanks to Netgalley and Random House Children's Books!

8 comments:

  1. maybe not4 me
    tnx 4reviewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. It wasn't for me, but I still enjoyed it. I'm glad you liked it though. It deserves recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina Kit.8 April 2012 at 22:56

    I love these types of stories and this one looks especially full of hope:)

    the cover is awesome:) Very cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting. I want to read this book too. Hope it will be in my country soon. Thx for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great summer read. I might pick this up! Nice review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually read books like this but I might give it a go :)

    Ro,
    Far Past Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't stand having my whole life mapped out for me from the womb. That would be awful! But I can also say that it would be scary and sad to make the decision to defy your parents. This sounds like a good story. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete