Tuesday 19 January 2021

Review: Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1)

Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1) by Jennifer L Armentrout
Release Date:
June 11, 2019
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed…

After loving The Dark Elements trilogy with all my heart, I can safely say that this book stole what was left of it. This book drew me straight out of my reading slump and reminded me why I love JLA's books so much. This is a fantastic paranormal romance read that works as an excellent spin-off of where Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements #3) leaves off.

Storm and Fury follows Trinity who lives with the gargoyle Wardens in a compound that is so safely guarded you wouldn't want to live anywhere else. However, news of wardens and demons being killed outside the compound rattles them to the core. This is worsened when the compound is attacked and Trinity's bound protector is taken. Trinity will do anything to get her friend back, even if that means following Zayne, a gloriously beautiful Warden, to DC to uncover what mystery lies behind the attacks.

For those who have not read The Dark Elements trilogy I can say you do not have to have read it. However, it does make the story easier to follow and gives you a better understanding of the dynamic between the characters if you have indeed read it. Therefore if you have time then I would definitely recommend you read that trilogy before moving on to this one. Zayne is a key character in the Dark Elements and reading that story will allow you to have a better understanding of his character and history. The main characters of the trilogy, Layla and Roth, also play a role in this book and it's always great to see your favourite characters again.

What I loved about this book was how JLA embedded a piece of herself into her main character Trinity, who suffers from a degenerative eye condition that means she is slowly losing her vision. This is the same condition that JLA has openly shared that she has been diagnosed with and I felt that it was a truly beautiful element to have embedded in her main character. I loved that it re enforced how not all disabilities can be seen. Trinity shows us how she lives with this condition and the knowing that one day she may be completely blind. She is a kickass heroine for this story and I found it hard not to love her.

There are more demons packed into this instalment which I enjoyed and also the appearance of ghosts and spirits. Trinity can see ghosts and I was laughing out loud at her ghost friend Peanut, who just seems to float into the room whenever Zayne is half naked. When I tell you I was laughing on the train, I really was laughing on the train! The pacing of the story was good but I do feel that all the action seemed to be jammed into the end. Nevertheless, I enjoyed how the story slowly unfolded throughout and I didn't mind that there was a heavier focus on the blossoming romance. Trinity and Zayne's chemistry just made me laugh and was so organic. If you didn't get enough of Zayne in The Dark Elements  this will definitely give you your fix! This book leaves us on a pretty good note, but knowing that the next instalment Rage and Ruin  is definitely going to be filled with some crazy shenanigans. 

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone that wants a paranormal romance that is easy to slip into. It's got demons, witches, ghosts, and gargoyles! Storm and Fury is a whirlwind of a story that swept me off my feet and stole my heart. If you have not read a book by JLA then I would highly recommend you start with The Dark Elements trilogy before reading this as a spin-off series. That way you get the full impact of the story and fall a little harder for the characters. I cannot wait to read Rage and Ruin  and see what direction this story takes. 

Rating

4.5 Falling Books

Previous reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment