Monday 5 November 2012

My review of Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of An Angry Girl (Confessions #1) by Louise Rozett
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository
Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate,don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is nowenraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)


Confessions of an Angry Girl was an interesting read, not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for but it managed to keep my attention long enough for me to finish it. I liked it but I didn't love it. For one, I thought that this kind of story line is a bit too young for the character's age. The main character's friend decided to go on the pill... BUT SHE'S FOURTEEN?!?! I understand that some fourteen-year-olds do that type of stuff but I just felt really uncomfortable.

Rose is going through a rough patch in her life; her dad died, her brother is distant and her mother barely speaks. On top of all that she has to deal with kissing a popular guy who might be dating a bitchy cheerleader. There isn't much for her to do but try to pull through the bullying and the pain and focus on what life might throw at her next.

When I first saw the book I thought, "Hmmm, this looks awesome!" and then I read the blurb and thought, "Wow! I'm definitely going to love this book, it sounds like something I would normally go for." I was expecting a cute teenage romance centering around a girl who definitely does not lead the most perfect life. But no, what I actually got was a load of stupid young teens trying to be badman. The main character's best friend had to go through this initiation test to be a cheerleader and part of the test was drinking herself senseless. And even though the main character warned her friend REPEATEDLY, she still went through with it? The girl let a load of cheerleaders shove alcohol down her throat so she could be a cheerleader. Kill. Me. Now.

On the other hand, the book did have good parts that I really enjoyed and made me want to read more. Some of the minor characters made the book more bearable and I could easily relate to them, but the main characters? They gave me a terrible headache and I wished they would just all shut up because I didn't give a crap about how bad their lives were and how I should feel sorry for them. I just didn't. 

I would recommend Confessions of an Angry Girl to those who want a short, cute contemporary story with not much plot. Even though I didn't love this story, I am prepared to give the sequel a chance because I believe that it can get better. 
Rating

9 comments:

  1. Awwwh...I'm sorry there were bad parts for you I haven't read it yet but I thought exactly what you thought when you first heard about it. I can't stand horrible main characters so we'll see if I ever read it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. great review and another good reminder for me to never fall in love with a book title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the second book in this series will be a little bit more mature since they'll be a little older. Great review though =D

     Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book but have not had a chance to read it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with your review. This book is an interesting read but when I realized characters age. I was like never mind. Have you read Courtney Summers' books? They feature angsty teens also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard such mixed reviews for this book. Your review made my decision for me on to read or not to read. I understand that there are 14 year olds having sex, but it is a heartbreaking thing, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. And cheerleading isn't something that is worth getting alcohol poisoning for. It just seems like a ridiculous thing to add to a book for teens. I know I don't know the exact context or if there were any consequences for these characters, but still. Maybe I need to just read it and see before I make a judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious about this book... some people give it five stars (or books), others give it 2, like you, and I am always curious about books that have mixed reviews... ;p Sometimes I end up enjoying them, but I'm probably not buying it at first, I will borrow it from a friend out of curiosity =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you. I started to read this book but stopped once I found out she is 14 and is talking about having sex with someone. That is totally unacceptable and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my friend gave me this book...i try to read it when it come...
    thx for ur review ...

    ReplyDelete