Thursday 15 August 2013

My review of Scarlet

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

**Minor spoilers for those who have not read Cinder**
Scarlet was everything that I expected and more! The mystery and the tension and the action and the characters and the romance... Ah, I have a lot that I want to praise Meyer for. Fairytale retellings have never been so good. 

In Cinder, we met a cyborg mechanic called Cinder, labelled an outcast by her family. Until she meets Prince Kai, a boy who sees her in a different light. But after a twist of events that lands Cinder in prison because of the Lunar Queen and her subjects, Cinder needs to get out. And fast. Now, in Scarlet, we meet a feisty and confident girl called Scarlet (you see the pattern forming?) who's in desperate search for her grandmother who has gone missing. She doesn't where to start looking. When Wolf, a well-known street fighter, enters the scene and claims that he can help her. What other choice does Scarlet have but to follow her only lead? Together they embark on a dangerous journey to find her grandmother, but not before Scarlet's feelings towards Wolf changes from hatred to something else...

I don't know where to start! I was utterly captivated by this book and its characters. I loved Scarlet's feistiness and Wolf's irresistible charm. The two blended wonderfully and I found myself adoring their blossoming relationship. But it's not all fun and games! Cinder has broken out of prison and is on the run with a complete stranger she met during her time in the cells. She learns more about her powers and time is ticking for her to help Prince Kai. The tension and adrenaline at points were unbearable.

There's something about the way the author writes that just makes me want to keep reading. Now, I must admit, I was a bit eager to find out what happens between Scarlet and Wolf so I was always a bit distracted when I was reading Cinder's chapters. Nevertheless, I felt that the author does a wonderful job of juggling around the characters and their stories. They all tied in beautifully and I was always hit with surprises!

Scarlet... You just gotta love the girl for her courage and bravery and loyalty towards those she cares about. As for Wolf? Damn, he raised the sexy-meter up so high. He's a street fighter who is super shy? And under that street fighter title is an swoon-worthy boy with a lovable personality. I want Wolf. Yep, he is mine. Scarlet can go and.... Wait, er, second thoughts. I don't want to be kicked in the face for trying to steal her man...
You don't even understand how desperate I am to read the next book in the series "Cress", which I think is a retelling of Rapunzel  And at some point she crosses paths with Cinder, Wolf and Scarlet, which I think is just going to absolutely freaking amazing. Wowza! 

BRING IT ON MARISSA MEYER! I am ready for more action and kick-ass characters and *crosses fingers* more romance? 
Rating

7 comments:

  1. Hey I was the exact opposite, I was waiting for the Cinder chapters so badly that I couldn't enjoy scarlet properly ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Awr, I was just so into the Scarlett and Wolf love story ;) Haha.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed from the cover of Cress that it's a retelling about Rapunzel? I might be completely off track here :) love the review, Cinder is one of my favourite books and I am desperate for Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!! Hahaha, got the stories mixed up. Thank for pointing that out!!

      I hope you love Scarlet when you read it! :D

      Delete
  3. I loved Scarlet as well! Marissa's world building is just so amazing :D And so much Scarlet x Wolf shipping was to be had haha. I can't wait for the Cinder/Kai reunion :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only yet read Cinder, but I can't wait to read Scarlet, it sounds so good! And now I can't wait to meet Wolf :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds an incredible read.Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete