Monday 7 October 2013

My review of Resist

Resist (Breathe #2) by Sarah Crossan
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Resist (Breathe, #2)Bea, Alina, and Quinn are on the run. They started a rebellion and were thrown out of the pod, the only place where there's enough oxygen to breathe. Bea has lost her family. Alina has lost her home. And Quinn has lost his privileged life. Can they survive in the perilous Outlands? Can they finish the revolution they began? Especially when a young operative from the pod's Special Forces is sent after them. Their only chance is to stand together, even when terrible circumstances force them apart. When the future of human society is in danger, these four teens must decide where their allegiances lie.

Sarah Crossan set the bar very high in the dystopian genre with her book Breathe last year, but Resist? Resist is simply one of the best conclusions I have read this year! The world that Crossan has built is irresistible and so fascinating. I couldn't put it down and was completely engaged until the very last page.

image
In Breathe, we met Alina, Bea and Quinn. They were naive and did not completely understand the world that they were in. Following the disastrous events at the end of Breathe, they are all searching for one thing: Sequoia. The only other refuge other than the Pod. They must all get their safely, especially since there is someone after Quinn with a mission to take him back to the Pod. However, Sequoia might not be the perfect paradise that they've been waiting for.

Everything in this book was perfect! Sure, I would have liked a more detailed and extended epilogue, but I think Crossan wanted to leave us with our own imagination and creativity, which is fine with me. 

I loved the characters in this book! Quinn and Bea need each other more than ever while Alina discovers who she is and what she wants. We also meet Ronan. At first I wasn't too keen on having chapters told my a complete stranger, but Ronan manages to stand out and fit in with our much-loved cast. He is one of the best young adults in the Special Forces and Quinn's father has sent him on a mission to find Quinn and bring him back to the Pod. He is a wonderful character who is very likable and once you're half way through you realise that he plays a big part in the plot.

The plot... WOAH! So many surprises I never even saw coming. My heart literally stopped at one point. Yep.

I just cannot get over how well thought out and developed the world of Breathe is. It was easy to imagine that that is really the future of the world we are living in now. I read Breathe a year ago, and I wasn't too sure on the little details when I started reading Resist. But Crossan's writing is simply devine and it was not difficult to slip back into the world that she had created.

I originally thought that this would be a trilogy, but, nonetheless, I'm happy for it to be a duo because the story rounded off nicely. Sarah Crossan has gifted us with two amazing and breath-taking books that will be loved by everyone who wants a unique and exciting post-apocalyptic read. Get reading as soon as you can get your hands these books!
Rating
A review copy was provided by Bloomsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment