Monday 10 December 2012

My review of Dance of Shadows

Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows #1) by Yelena Black
Release Date: February 12, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository



Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)Dancing with someone is an act of trust. Elegant and intimate; you're close enough to kiss, close enough to feel your partner's heartbeat. But for Vanessa, dance is deadly – and she must be very careful who she trusts . . .

Vanessa Adler attends an elite ballet school – the same one her older sister, Margaret, attended before she disappeared. Vanessa feels she can never live up to her sister's shining reputation. But Vanessa, with her glorious red hair and fair skin, has a kind of power when she dances – she loses herself in the music, breathes different air, and the world around her turns to flames . . . 

Soon she attracts the attention of three men: gorgeous Zep, mysterious Josh, and the great, enigmatic choreographer Josef Zhalkovsky. When Josef asks Vanessa to dance the lead in the Firebird, she has little idea of the danger that lies ahead – and the burning forces about to be unleashed . . .

Dance of Shadows is a dark and creepy story that will whisk readers away into a world where ballet dancers are simply pawns for evil. Get ready to solve a dangerous mystery with a developing romance plot along the way.

Our main character, Vanessa Adler, decides to attend a ballet school where her sister mysteriously disappeared not long before. Dancing is Vanessa's passion but she also wants to find out what happened to her sister and why she ran away right before her solo. There is danger lying ahead, Vanessa and her new friends must find out what's happening before more girls disappear.

I bet the cover has drawn you in, hasn't it? But let's not be fooled by the pretty cover and focus on the story within. I thought that the book would be mind-blowing and absolutely incredible, but instead I was faced with a predictable and forever circling story that I couldn't really care less about. The book did pick up a bit when I was 2/3 through it but I would have liked it faster paced.

Dance of Shadows wasn't one of my favourite reads for many reasons: the characters were vague, the plot took a long time to kick in, and I predicted quite a few things that were going to happen. If you're expecting a head-turning, eye-opening and romantic world then you can go and find that somewhere else. 

On the other hand, if you're looking for a dark and compelling book with plenty of crazy scenarios, lots of kick-ass dancing and creepy moments then I would recommend Dance of Shadows for you.

After the cliffhanger ending, I shall be reading the sequel because I am interested to see what the author has in store for us next. (I also want to see how gorgeous the next cover will be.)
Rating

- Thank you Bloomsbury Publishing!

18 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw this cover on someone else waiting on wednesday and thought OMG, the cover is beautiful and the blurb is really intriguing! I put it right away on my TBR pile on Goodreads. I read your review and now wonder if it's a good title for me, thanks for the review and for sharing, I might try it anyway because of the ending you mentioned!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so obsessed with ballet, and I love everything creepy. However, having read this review, I will try to lower my expectations slightly, so that I can better enjoy it. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover looks gorgeous. I like dark and compelling books so I'll add this on my tbr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad it didn't sweep you off your feet. The premise is interesting:)

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love ballet, I'm going to check this book then

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't normally read books without romance, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds ok, but the cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that is thoroughly disappointing. I got excited about this book the very first time it caught me eye and I read the synopsis. It stinks knowing that more than Half of the book is boring. Sigh. Very sad. But thank you for the wonderful warning disguised as a review. (I will tell no one, my lips are sealed!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the premise and cover. Tried to get it on netgalley but was rejected. Sorry it didn't blow you away but I'm glad it kept you interested enough to read the sequel. Not all books will knock our socks off but doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance. Glad it got 3 falling books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look good, maybe i will check this book later :)
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds disappointing and the premise doesn't really interest me. The cover is gorgeous but not sure I would bother picking this up

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover looks great but the story doesn't interest me either... There's not enough substance..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your review. I was so in love with the cover but its the story inside that really counts. I might give this book a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that the cover is awesome and completely draws me in. I haven't read this book yet. I want to, but I've seen very mixed reviews on it. Sucks that -- according to you and some other reviews I've read -- the story isn't as good as the cover makes it appear to be! Shouldn't judge books by their covers :)

    I will probably still read it at some point, because how could I not? Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover for this originally caught my eye. Im not really sure yet though if I want to read it. I think I'll probably just get it from the library since Im not that into ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was looking forward to this book. I have seen a lot of negative reviews which has but a damper on my anxiety though. I feel that this book will def not be one for me. I loved the cover though... I am just really sad that it did not meet expectations ):

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm... I definitely like creepy books with crazy scenarios and kickassery, but... your review is just so underwhelming. I don't know, I'd like to give it a try, but the whole 'doesn't pick up until 2/3 through...' I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i bought this book because of the cover...i am a cover maniac ;p
    but the story is not really my cup of tea....
    thx u for sharing review...

    ReplyDelete