Saturday 1 September 2012

My review of Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1) by Gena Showalter
Release Date: October 5, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


You've had vampires, you've had werewolves, now get ready for the epic zombie invasion!

Alice in Zombieland is the first book in the much-anticipated White Rabbit Chronicles. But, this isn't an ordinary retelling of Alice in Wonderland. No. Gena Showalter has put her own spin on the popular classic and has created an action-packed and romantic story that you won't want to put down.

When I was first saw Alice in Zombieland, I was expecting Alice to fall down a hole while chasing a white rabbit and then end up in a land full of zombies. But, no. That didn't happen. Alice in Zombieland is not a exactly a retelling of Alice in Wonderland. More like the author includes main aspects of the classic in her story and puts an unpredictable twist on them to shock readers.

While Alice might not fall down a hole into a magical land of zombies and white rabbits like you might be expecting, she does have to cope with a lot in the human world alone. Her family are, thanks to a bunch of monsters, and the only relatives she has left are her grandparents. She wishes she has believed her father when he warned her about the monster, because now they're out to get her. Ali is ready to fight and avenge her family, with the help from the hot and dangerous, Cole Holland. But nothings ever easy in a world full of surprises.

After reading Showalter's Intertwined series, I immediately fell in love with her writing style. When I found out about this book I was ecstatic! Showalter writes a lot of adult novels and I was waiting for the time when she would write another YA series, and now here it is. A beautiful cover, an interesting plot and hot characters.

Cole Holland. *Sigh* Gena really knows how to make a guy irresistible; dark, brooding, violet eyes...yep, some good stuff. Cole is a bad boy. He comes across as dangerous and protective, but we do get to dive into his more vulnerable side when he opens up to Alice. As for our main character, Alice is a great character who shows determination and strength in everything she does. 

I must warn you. If you pick this book up and think, "Hmmm, I want a scary book set in a land full of zombies," then be prepared for the disappointment. On the other hand, if you pick up this book and think, "I want a unique spin on zombies set in an american high school with lots of romance," then this book is for you! 

Gena Showalter, you've done it again. You have left me in complete awe and ready to read more. I'm sure the sequel, Through the Zombie Glass, will live up to this one. Looking forward to....MORE COLE!
Rating
- A big thanks to Mira Ink for providing me with a review copy!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review! I cant wait to get my hands on this one! I love a good romance but I'm not crazy about zombies so your review has made me feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnx for the review. no scary book. bummr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for setting our expectations right, Alice wasn't a scary story in the first place so it's nice she didn't turn into a nightmare.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to talk(type) in all caps for just a sec.... I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK! I will probably make a little bitty shelf and hang it on my wall just to display this book. I love the cover, and I can't wait to go crazy over the inside, too. Thanks for the fantastic review. Seriously can't wait to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review of Alice in Zombieland actually put the book in a fun light. I was really going to pass up on this one because I like my zombies crazy and gritty but I also love fun and surprising books.. so why not, right? :) Great review, Sam!


    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I love Gena Showalter's books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read too many zombie books, as they haven't really been my thing but this sounds different to anything else I've read, so I will definitely give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this book after reading this review! When I first heard about it and saw the title I was completely like I'm not going to read this one, because.. well, I'm not a big fan of zombies. But I think I will love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I am DYING to read this book! It sounds so interesting - Alice in Wonderland + zombies?! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing review. Makes me wanna read Alice in Zombieland asap. Can't wait to read it.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I'm so glad to hear you loved this! I was expecting a bit more of an Alice in Wonderland re-telling, except with zombies, and whilst it was a bit misleading, I still really liked it and am looking forward to the sequel. And Cole? *swoon*

    Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, from what you say, I thought it would be different too. I was expecting the zombies in the actual wonderland. Good to know it's still good even with the wonderland world. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete