Sunday 3 May 2020

Review: Serpent and Dove

Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove #1) by Shelby Mahurin
Release Date: September 3, 2019
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Book Depository

Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.

The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.

And love makes fools of us all.

Serpent & Dove gave me ALL the feels. It had everything I never knew I needed and made me laugh so hard. It is a perfect blend of magic, mystery, and romance. If you're looking for a story to sweep you off your feet witch-hunter style then you need this book!

Lou is a witch that has had to hide her powers as her kind are hunted and burned at the stake by the Chasseurs (aka witch hunters) of the Church. In a sudden twist of fate involving an incident that could reflect badly on the Church, Lou is forced to marry Reid, a chasseur. You can see where this story is going right? Witch and a witch hunter get married but he doesn't know she's a witch. Lou is also one of the funniest and most loveable characters I've ever had the pleasure to read about, which made this such an enjoyable read. The overarching plot of this story involves exploring the war between the Church and the witches. The way it unfolds just had my jaw on the floor, my heart racing, my palms sweating, I was totally HOOKED! Another aspect I enjoyed this story is that it's set in Belterra which has French vibes. The author has an amazing way of describing the vibe of the city and all of the glorious food it has to offer. My mouth was truly watering at some of the descriptions. 

The enemies-to-lovers romance in this book was everything I could have wanted. I had just finished The Folk of the Air trilogy by Holly Black and was feeling a bit underwhelmed by Cardan and Jude, but Lou and Reid picked me right up off the floor. I don't think I can describe how entertaining this book is. I loved all the characters and created so many combinations of ships by the end of the book. Reid has stolen my heart and I can't wait to read the next book for him to take my soul.

I would completely recommend Serpent & Dove to anyone who is looking for a unique and fun take on witches and witch hunters with a glorious cast of characters. It has an amazing blend of magic, friendship, romance, and betrayal. This is really a book that you sit down with thinking you'll just read the first few chapters, but then suddenly it's 5am and you finished the whole book! I cannot wait to devour Blood & Honey (book #2) just as fast as I devoured this one. A definitely recommend from me as it put a massive smile on my face.


Rating
5 Falling Books

No comments:

Post a Comment