Friday 12 October 2012

My review of Defiance

Defiance (Defiance #1) by C.J. Redwine
Release Date: September 6, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Defiance (Defiance, #1)Rachel’s world is confined to the protective walls around her city. Beyond them are violent wanderers, extreme terrain, and a danger straight out of legend: a beast called the Cursed One that devastates everything in its path.

When Rachel’s father goes missing, she is desperate to search for him. But her attempts to flee the city bring her to the attention of its overbearing ruler. His efforts to control her make the world within the walls seem as dangerous as that outside.

Her only chance at escape is Logan. Once her father’s apprentice, and now her only protector, he feels that helping her might mean losing her completely. But if he can put his feelings aside, they might be able to save more than Rachel’s father. They might be able to break down the walls, and set their people free.


Defiance was amazing! I've read so many good reviews on this book and I knew it would be good, but I never expected to love it as much as I did. Fiery characters, a big mystery and a jaw-dropping adventure!

Rachel lives inside the high walls that protects her city. Outside, there is a beast; a beast who has killed so many. When Rachel's father does not return from a mission outside the wall, everyone thinks he is dead. After failing to escape the city and track down her father, Rachel turns to Logan, her father's apprentice and also her once upon a crush. Together they must find a way out of the city and track down Rachel's father, who might just have the secret to setting their people free.

As soon as I read the blurb for this book I just knew that I would love it. The cover is absolutely gorgeous and the blurb really hooks you in, "They might be able to break down the walls, and set their people free." If you love books with high fantasy, kick-ass heroines and action-packed plot then I would recommend that you check this book out as soon as possible. 

The book is told from the point of views of Rachel and Logan. They are both crafted with intriguing personalities and different ways of thinking. Rachel is feisty, yet vulnerable; Logan is nerdy, strong and protective. Over the period of the book you will slowly fall in love with them and become seriously attached. 

Once I started reading Defiance I just couldn't put it down! The plot is well thought-out and has so many surprising twists. I also adored the romance that this book contained. It just added that extra load of excitement to the cake of awesomeness. This is a must read for YA lovers. One of my favourites of this year.
Rating
- A review copy was provided by the publisher. Thank you, Atom Books!

10 comments:

  1. I've read mixed comments about the book and I've thinking if I should read it or not. It's great you loved it! Maybe I will eventually read this. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it but didn't love it. It was sweet and I liked the dual pov in it but I just for some reason didn't connect with it as much as I would have liked. I still can't pinpoint why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky enough to win Defiance in a hop recently, but haven't had the chance to read it yet. I was super excited the minute I heard about this book, and saw the truly awesome cover, but the more reviews that I read the more excited I get. I can't wait to read this book so I can finally see just how amazing it is for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, your review made me want to read Defiance even more! I won a copy from a giveaway months ago, alas the book never arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't really feeling this book despite seeing it around but I'm liking the sound of action. I also love fantasy dystopians so this might end up being a book I want to read after all. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up the ARC at ALA but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. After this review I may have to move it up in my pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book last week and I loved it too. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed his book too! I'm a little miffed that the Captain got away - Braine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this books on my TBR and I can't wait to get my hands on it. The cover and the story is too good for words...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was on the fence about reading this book. I've heard mixed reviews but your review really peeked my interest and I can't to give this book a chance!

    ReplyDelete