Monday 3 January 2022

Review: A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

  A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (#1) by Holly Jackson

Release Date: May 2, 2019

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository | Waterstones


The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town desperately wants to stay hidden. And if the real killer is still out there, how far will they go to keep Pip from the truth?

Yesyesyes! This was so good. I went in with no expectations, I just wanted a murder mystery for spooky season. But omg, this book had me in its grip. Pip is completing her EPQ (extended project qualification) and she chooses to do it on a five-year-old closed murder case about a girl at her school who was killed by her boyfriend, Sal, and later killed himself... allegedly. That's right, Pip doesn't believe this is the story and makes it the subject of her EPQ to find out what exactly led up to these events, and work out if the blame had been put on the wrong person all these years. Pip works with Sal's brother Ravi to unfold the events five years ago.

The writing was phenomenal and so easy to follow, even when the investigation gets more complicated with lots of potential suspects and leads. I'm not normally a mystery/thriller kind of reader but this book made it SO easy to be. Every chapter had me hooked and it was so hard to put down. I stayed up late finishing this one, which I have not done with a book in a while.

The banter between Pip and Ravi was a great dynamic throughout the book and by the end these two characters felt so close to my heart. Speaking of my heart, oh boy was it pounding through the end chapters when all was finally unravelling. This book wasn't spooky like "ghost spooky", but it gave me the creeps and a vibe of "someone's always watching". A from Pretty Little Liars kind of style. I was running to the toilet in the night and back because it gave me the creeps.

I just adored this book so much. I will be ranting about it for a while because it was very fun, very engaging, and a great surprise. You won't see the reveals coming!
 

Rating
5 Falling Books
Thank you to Electric Monkey for gifting this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment