Sunday 24 October 2021

Review: Dark and Shallow Lies by Ginny Myers Sain

Dark and Shallow Lies by Ginny Myers Sain

Release Date: September 7, 2021

Goodreads | Amazon  UK | Amazon | The Book Depository | Waterstones

Dark and Shallow Lies has impeccable spooky season vibes (but not too spooky). It's eery and dark and I quickly fell into the setting of the story. A great mystery/thriller with characters that have subtle psychic powers. It added a paranormal twist that I really enjoyed. The story is so beautifully written with descriptions that truly brought the bayou setting alive. The imagery was powerful and the pathetic fallacy throughout added to the dark atmosphere of this story. With the dark gloomy weather recently, Dark and Shallow Lies felt like the perfect autumnal read. Every time I put it down I felt drawn back to it.

There wasn't a lot of action in this book, but I was eating up the character development and slow burn of the story. I could not predict where it was going or how the story would end. It also felt like a book that you could analyse line by line. Perhaps a great book for a book club read. I didn't love the ending, but I also think I may need to re-read it to get the full impact, but I enjoyed the book overall so it gets a 4 star from me.

I am not normally drawn to books that don't have romance as a large element, but the small role that romance did play in this book felt perfect. I loved that a larger emphasis was placed on studying the characters in the small town and building the atmosphere. Whereas the romance was sprinkled lightly to add to the plot.

Dark and Shallow Lies was a unique story that was told in a way that felt different and refreshing from your average YA book. It is irresistibly immersive and you will find it just as hard as the characters to leave the small bayou town of La Cachette. If you love a mystery/thriller but want a fresh take on it then definitely check this out. 

Rating

4 Falling Books

Thank you to Electric Monkey for the review copy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment