Friday 31 May 2013

My review of Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Release Date: June 6, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Shadow and Bone is a breathtaking fantasy debut that will not only hold you with its captivating world, but also with its fierce and feisty characters. 

Prepared to be thrust into the kingdom of Ravka, where an abyss of darkness infested with dangerous beasts that feed on humans, called the Fold, slowly spreads across the land. This is the kingdom that orphans Alina and Mal grew up in. Alina has never been special or extraordinary until she discovers a sudden burst of power and is separated from her best friend Mal, and sent to the extravagant world of Ravka's magical folks; The Grisha. She has to learn to control the power she now possesses, but also get used to the only man who can help her, the Darkling. A terryingly powerful man with irresistible charm that Alina can't help but be drawn to. But then there's Mal, who is not Grisha and could not follow her into the palace, but he is out there somewhere, and Alina can't seem to get him out of her head.

I fell into this fantasy world immediately and I could not put it down! I was captivated by what the world and characters had to offer. The world building was awesome and the way the author describes Ravka through Alina's eyes is both magical and frightening. Every twist and every turn was something unpredictable, and I loved that about this book.

Alina is fierce when she wants to be. But inside, she's just a broken girl who only wants a peaceful, simple life. Moving to the posh side of Ravka where the Grisha live, definitely did not cross her mind. Alina is loyal and will easily grow on you over the course of the book. Her unconditional love for her best friend Mal is endearing and really gave the story a lighter side. 

I didn't particularly like the Darkling. Now, I've heard that people have been falling head-over-heals for him and I'm just sitting here like:
image
I don't quite see what is appealing about a manipulative, dark, extremely old and evil character. But I guess everyone has their preferences. To express my opinion, Mal is more my kind of boy. he's protective and sweet when he wants to be. He's loved Alina all his life, even though he didn't realise it at the beginning, but when he does, that for me was a "OMG, MY HEART CAN'T COPE!" moment.

There is so much to praise in Shadow and Bone: the world building, the characters, the plot, the twists, and so much more. If this was adapted into a movie it would be incredible. Pick up this book as soon as you can because it cannot be missed! The sequel Siege and Storm will be out soon.
Rating
A review copy was provided by Orion Publishing

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god! I wrote a review for this today, too!
    Shadow and Bone was great, wasn't it.
    And yes, this book would be amazing if it was a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must reread this one. I enjoyed it, but for some crazy reason I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be, and as everyone else in the world seems to be. Very frustrating! So, reread I will. Especially since Siege and Storm is close at hand, and I have heard that it is unbelievably good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just the world building. ;) Enjoy your reread!! If you pick up book 2 you must let me know whether it blows you away. :D

      Delete
    2. I will definitely pick up book 2, and I will absolutely let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. I'm currently reading Shadow and Bone, about 60 pages left to go. I totally agree with you. The world building in Shadow and Bone is astounding and described in such beautifully intricate detail. Leigh's character development is also very impressive as is her magic system. And although I do like Mal, I am still holding out for the possibility that there is more to the Darkling than the story has let on so far (meaning he isn't really evil). My first impression of him was that he reminded me a bit of Valek from Poison Study who I totally love. So I'm reserving my judgement until further developments are revealed. I'm already fiending for Siege and Storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, cool that you're reading this now! ^_^ Let me know who you end up loving more by the end ;) I haven't read Poison Study, but it sounds awesome.

      Thank you for sharing your views and I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!! ^_^ I'm also longing for S&S >.<

      Delete