Monday 29 April 2013

My review of Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard
Release Date:
January 1, 2013

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Splintered (Splintered, #1)Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Ever wondered what happened to Alice after she left Wonderland? What kind of mark she left? Splintered is a beautifully told novel that follows Alyssa, descent of Alice Liddell, the girl who inspired Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. All of the women in the Liddell family that have come before Alyssa have gone crazy; including her mother. Alyssa never thought that she would follow in their footsteps, until now. She has been hearing the thoughts and whispers of bugs and plants around her - but she's always been able to shut them out by using them in her mosaics. When her mother takes a turn for the worst and the only way to help her is to find a way back into wonderland, Alyssa has no choice but to embark on a journey that is not for the light-hearted. Thankfully, she's not going alone. With the help from her best friend and secret crush, Jeb, the two must correct all of Alice's mistakes... and make it out alive.

Beware, my fellow readers! This real Wonderland is much darker and more terrifying that Lewis Carroll's version! A. G. Howard whisks you away to a magical land full of danger and plot twists. Be prepared to fall into the mind of Alice Liddell's descendant, Alyssa, while she takes on an unimaginable quest with dangerous and daring tasks to complete. 
image
The book starts off fairly normal... apart from the fact that our protagonist can hear the voices of plants and insects... but yes, fairly normal. That is, until that fantasy kicks in and we are yanked into Wonderland; full of familiar characters from Carroll's tale, unforgettable action, and a gorgeous romance that you won't be able to get enough of. Splintered is a mind-blowing and completely engrossing book that is perfect for all those readers out there who love falling head first into an unpredictable fantasy land.

I loved Alyssa! She was courageous, daring, and would do anything for those she loves. She took on so many challenges and did not consider stepping down until they were completed. I admired her strength and her bravery all the way through. Another character I loved was Jeb. Sigh, such a swoon-worthy guy; prepared to protect Alyssa and keep her safe. All scenes were automatically more interesting when his name appeared.

And of course Alyssa wouldn't be able to get through Wonderland without a guide, right? Thanks to the mysterious Morpheus, Alyssa is able to find a starting point and also guidance to what she actually has to do while she's in Wonderland. I thought Morpheus was a pretty cool guy. We don't really get to know him until the last half of the book where we actually learn about his past, etc.

I could not get enough of the action and the tension. Nothing is what it seems in Wonderland and there was always that thought at the back of my head saying: Somethings going to jump and kill everyone; I just know it! 

I've heard that there is a sequel planned for 2014 and I can't help but wonder what Howard could possibly deliver this time. After all, Lewis Carroll never wrote a second wonderland story, so Howard's new creation should be completely unique! 
Rating

10 comments:

  1. This was on the list of my top reads last year. And my all time favorite cover! Did you see the cover for the sequel??? *SWOONS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too. I can't wait to read what happens next and it's about Morpheus too. Yes! Great review.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book, and I cannot wait for Unhinged to come out! The covers are both so gorgeous, and I need more Morpheus!!!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my copy of Splintered! I can't wait to start it. Everyone has been giving it high marks. And the cover for Unhinged!! NOW that cover is awesome!! Thank you for the review =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like the cover of splintered..my friend gave 4 stars so i think i woul like to read splintererd too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I've been dying to read this book and I adore the cover! "Splintered is a mind-blowing and completely engrossing book that is perfect for all those readers out there who love falling head first into an unpredictable fantasy land." <---you just got me 1000x more excited to read this. I also love your Emperor's New Groove gif! Great review, Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet to read this book but I'm dying to get it. I really love twists and the cover has a huge influence on me to get the book. Ahhhh good covers, they can really weave their magic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was excited for this, but my expectations weren't too high. I love Wonderland, and I was a little concerned about how it would turn out. I shouldn't have worried! I love dark and gritty and creepy. Those books always (usually) hit a home run with me. Splintered was no exception. It took one of the best stories of all time and refashioned it for this generation while still respecting the original. I love the twists on the characters, I loved Alyssa, Jeb and Morpheus. Alyssa's dad. This book blew me away. I absolutely cannot wait for the second book. I will be the first in line when it hits stands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on my shelf and keep putting it aside even though I hear such amazing things about it! Going to put it high on my summer reading list! Thanks for your review. It sounds so good and I love strong characters too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my eye on Splintered for some time now but haven't had the chance to read it yet. The blurb sounds fascinating and the cover is absolutely gorgeous. Plus with all the rave reviews including yours, I fiending to read it. Hopefully, I will have read before Unhinged is released which I am already also fiending.

    ReplyDelete