Monday, 2 July 2012

My review of Sweethearts

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
Release Date: February 1, 2008
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

SweetheartsAs children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend. 

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.


Sweethearts disappointed me.

Jennifer and Cameron were best friends in Elementary, the two outcasts that the other children picked on. When Cameron disappeared without even saying 'good-bye', Jennifer knew it was time to change. Now Jennifer's in high school, pretty, popular and completely different from the girl she was when she was younger. When Cameron reappears, they are both reminded of their shared childhood memories. Since they last saw each other 8 years ago, their lives have taken two different paths.

It sounds really interesting and exciting, right? You all want to know how their lives have changed? You all want to know what happens? Well, I can tell you now that this book was one big disappointment. Nothing really happened, the characters were dull and I didn't really feel anything while reading the book.

Jennifer is a confused, whiny, weak and annoying teenage girl with nothing interesting to say. One thing that really bugged me was the fact that she had a boyfriend, Ethan, who was both pushy and needy. He wants to have sex with Jennifer at any moment that their parents aren't at home. And you know what makes it worst? Whenever they did have sex Cameron was on her mind! Oh god, what a messed up girl. She keeps saying how she loved Ethan, blahblahblah, but it's LIES! ALL LIES!

Another thing: Nothing happened. All the book  is really about is a teenage girl remembering her past while falling for a guy she hardly knows. I felt that the book had no excitement, no gripping story line and no real purpose. Half the time I was wondering what Jennifer was rambling on about. 

I have seen many reviews that say that this book was amazing and perfect for those who love romance. All I can say is: WHAT ROMANCE?! ARE THE WORDS PRINTED IN INVISIBLE INK?! AM I MISSING SOMETHING?! There. Was. No. Romance. What are you on about? Yes, there was pointless sex and relationship ups and downs, but romance? No, no, no! I think we're talking about different books. There was nothing romantic or worth the title 'romantic' in this book. None whatsoever.

The only reason I'm rating this book 2 is because I liked Cameron's letter at the end, I felt that it was well thought out and touching.

Sweethearts is one of those books that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. End of. Good-bye. The end.
Rating

11 comments:

  1. Everytime I decide to give Sara Zarr another chance with books, I am always disappointed :( Glad to know that I won't miss anything with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't wowed by this one. I've seen people go on and on about how Cameron is the best thing ever, but I didn't get it. Thanks for your honest thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. I have read so many reviews of this book and thought to myself what did I miss? Honestly about a month after I read it I have almost no memory of this book, to the point that I keep forgetting that I did indeed read it. Nothing stood out for me. Thanks for making me feel like I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read this book so long ago and all I remember is that I didn't enjoy it. I can't even remember what it was about. Your review reminded me it was a pointless book that didn't mean much to me either.

    Thanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina Kit.6 July 2012 at 03:09

    It's to bad you didn't like it! I loved it! I loved the characters and the story. It was more character driven, but I like how we get their history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ouch.. so sad this story isn't good whereas i like the cover book, so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad you didn't like this book! I was kind of on the fence about whether or not I liked this book, and honestly the only thing I can remember is that the main character and I have the same birthday...

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like something that would drive me insane. I'm glad I gave my copy away before reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is such a shame that the content does not seem as sweet as the cover is. I don't know why but the book that comes with the cover as such with cakes, candies tends to have a not so great story. at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for saving me from boredom. I do appreciate it. I guess the only good part about the book is the cookie on the cover. It looks delicious, and it is making me want to head into the kitchen and bake. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have to agree with many of the comments above, in saying that it is such a shame the content of the book is not as nice as the cover. I was very interested to read your thoughts and thank you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete

I am very greatful for all comments posted! :D